Presented by City of Irving

Heritage Park Depot, Cabin Open for Tours July 4

 

July 4
The Caster Cabin and train depot at Heritage Park, Second and Main Streets, will be open for tours by the Irving Heritage Society the morning of the July 4 during the holiday celebration in downtown Irving. Admission is free.

The Caster Cabin was built in 1887 by Henry Caster and his son Edmond as a dog-run cabin. Following a fire, some of the logs from the cabin were salvaged and reconstructed. The cabin contains some of its original furniture, including a rocker made by Caster, the Casters’ wedding bed, a 1914 quilt and a family Bible.

The depot at Heritage Park was built about 1896 and served the small east Texas towns of Clinton and Nevada. It was purchased by the Irving Heritage Society in 1986 and moved to Heritage Park to represent the Rock Island depot, which previously was located at the north end of Main Street until 1965.

July 5
Take a free tour of the Irving Heritage House 3 to 5 p.m., Sunday, July 5. Located at 303 South O’Connor, docent-led tours will be available at 3 and 4 p.m. Admission is free.

The Heritage House is a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark. Built in 1912 by C.P. and Virginia Schulze, the rooms of the home are decorated and furnished in the fashion of the 1900s. Some original pieces from the Schulze family are included among the antiques. A special display of wedding gowns of yesterday is also on exhibit.

For additional information visit www.irvingheritage.com or call (972) 252-3838.

Print Friendly