Company Announces Plans to Support Troops This Summer through Deeds and Donations, Including a $1 Million Match
To show support for our heroes – troops, their families and veterans – The Kroger Co. (NYSE: KR) today announced a robust program involving events and customer engagement that will honor these heroes all summer.
More than two million Americans serve on active duty or in the reserves today, including many Kroger family of stores associates. Kroger has partnered with the USO through “Honoring Our Heroes,” a multi-faceted program designed to show Kroger’s deep gratitude to our active duty troops and our nation’s 23 million veterans.
Kroger’s customers and associates have enthusiastically supported the endeavor: Together, Kroger’s annual campaign has raised more than $11.9 million since 2010 to support USO programs, which represents the largest cumulative gift to the USO in its nearly 75 year history.
To honor our heroes, Kroger announced several easy ways for customers to participate this Memorial Day season:
- $1 Million Match Kroger invites its customers to join forces with them to donate $2 million to the USO by giving through register scan cards and coin boxes at every store or by donating online at HonoringOurHeroes.com. Kroger will match every dollar that is donated, up to $1 million.
- Gift Card Donations Customers may also purchase special gift cards in $5, $10 and $15 denominations that will be delivered to local USO centers.
- Red, White and BBQ Treating troops and their families to some good ol’ BBQ is a token of the company’s appreciation for the many family dinners they missed while deployed. Kroger will host BBQs in 12 cities and towns across the United States.
- Operation Taste of Home Having a “taste of home” is a powerful experience for troops stationed abroad. Kroger will bring the taste of the backyard BBQ experience to the brave servicemen and servicewomen at three locations abroad: Camp Buehring, Kuwait (May 30), Camp Arifjan, Kuwait (May 31), Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Germany (June 5).
- Share a Coke With every click, The Coca-Cola Company will donate a refreshing Coke to the troops, up to 100,000, on Kroger’s behalf. Consumers can use the hashtags #HonoringOurHeroes #ShareaCoke to spread the message.
- Social Sharing Customers can visit HonoringOurHeroes.com to become inspired by Kroger’s own associates’ stories of courage, then write a special message to America’s heroes. By posting on social media channels using the #HonoringOurHeroes hashtag, the message will automatically show up on the official website.
- Hiring Our Heroes Kroger has hired more than 29,000 veterans since 2009 – including more than 6,000 last year – and continues to seek out opportunities to honor heroes through career opportunities.
“We are all touched by the military service of our neighbors, friends and colleagues, which makes Honoring Our Heroes close to the hearts and homes of our customers and associates,” said Lynn Marmer, Kroger’s group vice president of corporate affairs. “While we can never truly thank our service men and women enough for the sacrifices they make, we are deeply committed to recognizing our troops and their families through our partnership with the USO.”
To find out more, visit https://www.honoringourheroes.com/