Walter Harvey was a man who never met a stranger. He opened his first barbecue in Irving on Oct. 15, 1955, on Loop 12. Eventually the business moved to a former church building on Grauwyler. Harvey was a self-taught whittler. Cowboys were always a favorite subject and some of his figures are described as “caricature woodcarvings.” Many table top scenes reflected a great deal of humor.
For additional information on the Irving Heritage Society, visit www.irvingheritage.com or call 972-252-3838.