- Be sure your space heater is in good working condition.
- Space heaters need space. Keep or maintain a three-foot clearance between all heating equipment and anything that can burn.
- Keep children and pets away from space heaters, especially when they are wearing night gowns or other loose clothing that can be easily ignited.
- Portable space heaters should be turned off every time you leave the room and before going to bed.
- Plug power cords only into outlets with sufficient capacity and never into an extension cord.
- Inspect for cracked or broken plugs or loose connections. Replace before using.
- Avoid using electrical space heaters in bathrooms or other areas where they may come in contact with water.
To view this or previous IFD Safety Topics go to: www.cityofirving.org/fire/fire-safety.asp