Carelessly discarded cigarettes, whether tossed from car windows or dropped on the sidewalk, start many fires. ***According to the U.S. Fire Administration, every year almost 1,000 smokers and non-smokers are killed in home fires caused by cigarettes and other smoking materials.***
Please keep these SMOKING SAFETY tips in mind:
· If you smoke, smoke outside.
· Safely dispose of cigarettes in ashtrays.
· Wherever you smoke, use deep, sturdy ashtrays.
· Make sure cigarettes and ashes are out. Wet cigarette butts and ashes before throwing them out.
· Never smoke in a home where oxygen is used.
· Never smoke in bed.
· Be alert!
To view this or previous IFD Safety Topics go to: www.cityofirving.org/fire/fire-safety.asp